Re: Howto for properly partitioning new drives with 4096 byte sectors (like Western Digital Advanced Format EARS drives)

hi there

thanks to aleksander who send me a message with the link to this
dicussion.

in an other message in this thread was a link to a forum thread on the
western digital site. I started this discussion there.

alexander an I have got the same conclusion on these topic:
- it is a must that the partitions are aligned correctly to 4KiB
  boundries. else the drive is unusable slow.

- the drive does NOT report its physical sector size. so doing proper
  programming is not enough.

to be prepared for the switch to hdd with sector sizes larger than 512
byte there must be a new default to align partitions to.

I'm out from the discussion for the actual new default for
alignment and where the first partition should start. because with more
and more SSD drives on the market other "proper aligment" topics raise.
(for example this entry in the blog from ted:
http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/ )

thanks for providing this great tools
christoph