Re: How dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

On 7/2/24 11:39 AM, Gianluca Interlandi via tde-users wrote:
Is it possible to use plasma (KDE4/5) kmail within TDE? Does it not integrate well? I do this with okular, gwenview, k3b. TDE is very stable and fast, but I tend to use also apps from other desktops.

I use TDE and KDE 5.

KDE KMail can be used in TDE. Do know that most KDE PIM tools require running akonadi. I believe the KDE KAlarm package is the only KDE PIM tool that allows making akonadi optional.

KDE 5 tools can be used within TDE. There are some nuances caused by the $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP environment variable.

When running TDE the variable will be set to TDE. Launching KDE tools usually results in flat icons. The environment variable supports multiple parameters, which then allows launching KDE tools with the user's preferred icon theme.

But configuring XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP-TDE:KDE then results in non Qt5 software looking weird. Using the qt5ct package helps some but not completely.

Although there never has been a problem running a mixed environment, doing so always has required jumping through hoops.