Re: RHow dead is Trinity and is it worth contributing to?

said Mike Bird via tde-users:
| On Tue July 2 2024 13:16:14 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users wrote:
| > Ah, Lisp machines, never had my hand on those ... I'm still
| > programming in scheme and lisp. Somehow it's a pitty that TQt does not
| > have a lisp FFI.
|
| The windowing system was not dissimilar to TDE or any other modern
| windowing system except there's little awareness of any filesystem.
| You're basically editing and compiling in Emacs all the time.
| Everything you do becomes live instantly.  (Reproducible builds were not
| a thing!)  Normally when you turned the machine off it was just
| suspending and you would later resume in the same virtual image.  You
| only actually booted from a clean image maybe once a year.

One of the most startling (and after one got used to it, delightful) things
about Linux in the early days, when the NextSTEP clone was a leading
desktop, was that literally everything was configured via text file, plain
text, human readable and human understandable. The tradition continued for
awhile -- for instance, the KMail address list in the early days was a
simple text file: "name" email address.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album