Re: Konqueror

On 5/29/24 02:30, Thierry de Coulon via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To me there is little difference between running an app with sudo and running
>  it as root. If I need to do a lot of work as root, I just log in as root (and
>  I've set up the root desktop with ugly, flashy colours so that I know I'm
>  there). Letting you login as root with a GUI is a nice thing of TDE.

Maybe others here remember KDE 1.x. Root KDE was *gastly* -- bright red desktop, lots of black and yellow. Hurt the eyes. Made you want to do your business and go home as soon as possible.

Started my lifelong love of Miguel de Icaza's Midnight Commander. Sudo mc has saved me a multitude of times, and when I have to alt-f1 is is almost immediately followed by mc. It is always the first thing I add to a new install. And it was the ugliness of KDE as root that herded me to it.

dep
Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/