Re: Konqueror

On Wednesday 29 May 2024 01:30:20 Thierry de Coulon via tde-users wrote:
> > > if you want to find out whether anything bad will happen by running
> > > Konqueror as root, then we will save you the time and trouble, and say,
> > > yes, sooner or later, bad things happen.
>
> I always find this sort of declaration a little exaggerated, and funnily no
> one ever seems to answer: "why?"
>
> To me there is little difference between running an app with sudo and
> running it as root. If I need to do a lot of work as root, I just log in as
> root (and I've set up the root desktop with ugly, flashy colours so that I
> know I'm there). Letting you login as root with a GUI is a nice thing of
> TDE.
	That's what I do, too.  My Root GUI session has magenta background; hard to
forget where I am.  I don't use it often; I prefer a Root session in Konsole
most of the time.  (My Root command prompt is also magenta.)
	On IBM mainframes, where I cut my teeth, before PCs and terminal emulators
there was no difference in appearance between an ordinary user's account and
the MAINT account (the equivalent of Root) because the terminals were just
green text on black background; so we were really careful to remember what
account we were working with.  When emulators became available we could
emulate colour terminals, which helped.

> Of course no one should "live" as root (although I did that for one year
> when learning how to use Linux, but that was not a "production" machine),
> but why make people believe that as soon as they are root, they are doomed?
>
> People live as root on Windows machines and while this is a dangerous
> thing, bad things don't always happen.
>
> I just feel that this "never run Linux as root" is some religious mantra,
> and who does not respect it is an heretic.
	Sometimes there are things that are just difficult to do using sudo.

> Thierry

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux