Re: Konqueror

On Thursday 22 February 2024 10:12:01 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 22 February 2024 18:04:34 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users
wrote:
> > Anno domini 2024 Thu, 22 Feb 17:38:27 +0100
> >
> >  ajh-valmer via tde-users scripsit:
> > > Hello again,
> > >
> > > Why when I launch Konqueror as root I receive this message :
> > > "dialogue is impossible with TDElauncher"
> >
> > Don't! You'll get ugly sideeffects when you do so.
>
> I never got any bad effects before launching konqueror in root.
> It's very practical to edit files that are root owner.

Yes, I believe that we had this discussion before. If you launch any
application as root, the best thing is to get in and get out quickly. If you
want to find out whether anything bad will happen by running Konqueror as
root, then we will save you the time and trouble, and say, yes, sooner or
later, bad things happen.

Nik is right: If possible, avoid running any application as root.

Also, however, I will admit that I do the same. (Probably most of us,
including Nik, do the same, now and then.) I sometimes run Konqueror as root,
for a few minutes, in order to do something that would take much more time
and trouble to accomplish by command-line.

It occurs to me to ask how you try to start Konqueror as root. There is an
entry in the start menu to run Konqueror as root. (Also there are clickable
icons for other applications to be run as root.)

Another way to do the same thing is alt-F2, then run the command tdesu
konqueror. The tdesu command works for other applications, too, if you need
to run them as root.

Bill