Re: Mastodon servers - dig this! [OT]

On Wed, 8 May 2024 10:28:13 -0700
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now, if I enable javascript, that negates any benefit that I get by using a
> proxy; javascript reveals pretty much all details about one's machine. If you
> don't believe me, check it out for yourself:
> https://ipleak.net/

Amusingly, that page fails to determine much of anything if I visit with the
browser profile I have piped through TOR.  It's convinced I'm in Europe
somewhere, although it can't quite make up its mind whether "somewhere"
is Germany, Romania, or Switzerland.

This may be partly due to the fact that I'm using a browser with no
WebRTC support, so the site can't attack that backdoor.  And apparently
TOR+Privoxy doesn't leak DNS requests.

(The site does pick up my browser's  unusual User Agent, but I've made no
effort to obfuscate that in that profile.  If I used an extension to mask it, the
only thing they would know about me is my screen size.)

E. Liddell