Re: TDE R14.1.2 released, new target started… [OT]

On Tuesday 07 May 2024 18:17:41 J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:

> > It seems floss.social may have been a poor choice for social media.  It's
> > hard to be "social" when they won't even let you sign up.
>
> 	Yes, I think that the bigger an individual server gets the more
> problematic its "user-friendliness" becomes, perhaps because of the effort
> of riding herd on the large number of accounts on it.  I suspect it's
> another instance of the idea that throwing more people at a problem doesn't
> necessarily help fix it.  On the other hand, trying to pick out a small
> Mastodon server to host one's account is rather trying; there is always the
> chance that it will suddenly disappear, leaving one suspended in mid-air
> like Wiley Coyote.
>
> Leslie

Somebody else here (E.Liddell, I believe) said that the requirements for
signing up vary greatly among the servers available, which, as I said, sounds
a lot like jabber/xmpp in that regard. Thus I suppose that maybe some server
admins are more responsive to their users, and maybe it isn't a direct ratio
between size and user-unfriendliness.

In other words, you may need to go fishing until you find the server you like.
As for jabber/xmpp, I always use the server at hot.chilli.net (and they have
others under the same umbrella). They allow registrations without requiring
any personal information, and they have been rock-solid in terms of
stability. I cannot remember having any problems with them, no server down
time in my experience, etc. (I wonder, idly, whether they host for Mastodon?)

Of course, I am just drawing a comparison here. Maybe the Fediverse servers
are like that, and you may find others that work for you. If I understand
what others have said, you can sign up with any server, and still use that
account to interact, post, upload and follow accounts on other servers
(again, like jabber/xmpp).

If anybody should come up with such a Fediverse server, by the way, it seems
that such information would be of interest to many people on the TDE mailing
list, so please share.

I am still considering whether to take the trouble to sign up, but I want to
avoid those bad experiences.

Out of all the Mastodon clients available for Devuan or Linux in general, I
have so far settled on toot, as it is command-line only, operates inside a
terminal. I hope that means that I can use it over the Tor network, but we'll
see. Otherwise, I think I'll just find a way to rss or somehow get to read
what gets posted there.

Bill