Re: TDE R14.1.2 released, new target started… [OT]

On 2024-05-07 19:18:41 Dan Youngquist via tde-users wrote:
> On 5/5/24 9:55 PM, J Leslie Turriff via tde-users wrote:
> > 	Well, this is fun.  I remember vaguely that Mastodon would be an option
> > for communication about TDE, and it appears that I had set up an account
> > on floss.social; but then I forgot about it.  Now when I try to log in I
> > am informed that my account has been suspended (no reason given), and
> > there seems to be no Help or Contact facility to figure out what's going
> > on, though it does say "...we will retain some basic data to prevent you
> > from evading the suspension" which implies that somehow I have done
> > something wrong. Maybe inactivity is a banning offense?
>
> At least you were able to open an account.  I've tried several times.  All
> I get is a message saying I'll get an email when my account is approved,
> then never hear another word.
>
> It seems floss.social may have been a poor choice for social media.  It's
> hard to be "social" when they won't even let you sign up.

	Yes, I think that the bigger an individual server gets the more problematic
its "user-friendliness" becomes, perhaps because of the effort of riding herd
on the large number of accounts on it.  I suspect it's another instance of
the idea that throwing more people at a problem doesn't necessarily help fix
it.  On the other hand, trying to pick out a small Mastodon server to host
one's account is rather trying; there is always the chance that it will
suddenly disappear, leaving one suspended in mid-air like Wiley Coyote.

Leslie
--
Platform: Linux
Desktop Environment: Trinity