Re: Fw: Education Direction

Hello, all!

I do not have any college education do to being... well... poor. Also, I would probably go more for a Theology or Philosophy degree if I was going to College, anyway. This would be more of hobby than a job for me and I wouldn't intend to make money. That being said, if there are other ways to get a grasp on the fundamentals of computer science and then go on to learn, say, Python as was recommended, I am open to spending a chunk of change for something like this.

On Sat, Jul 1, 2023 at 11:17, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp via tde-users
<users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anno domini 2023 Sat, 1 Jul 12:41:50 -0500
Michael via tde-users scripsit:
> On Friday 30 June 2023 06:55:03 pm Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
> > On Fri June 30 2023 16:37:26 Alex Cornwell via tde-users wrote:
> > > Hi, all! I love TDE and want to see it thrive for ages
> > > to come. Problem is I don't know where to start online education wise. I
> > > know I can use places like Linux Foundation and Udemy but what classes
> > > does one take? Should I try learning C++? Learn what TQt actually is and
> > > does? I just haven't a clue where to start. Thank you for any help you
> > > guys can provide.
> >
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > TDE is mostly written in C++ so you would indeed need to know C++ if you
> > wished to fix bugs or add new features.
> >
> > But first of all do you have a good grounding in computer science?
> >
> > It's fairly easy to learn a new computer language but understanding the
> > science behind it all is difficult without a few years of college study.
>
> What Mike said, but...
>
> I have 8 years college (2 CS, 4 MIS, 2 MBA) and have written code in over a
> hundred different languages from the low level of assembler to the high level
> of CASE tools.
>
> You do need a good grounding in computer science (well logic really), but you
> don’t have to get that from a college per se.  A decent online course in a
> beginner language will give you about 70-80% of the foundation you need to
> write okay code in most any language.  Writing ‘great’ code above and beyond
> that is either a) mostly up to the individual’s commitment to learn and
> follow the specific language’s, or organization's, coding standards or b)
> being really good at picking up those standards from code you’re editing or
> patching.
>
> As to C++, which you’ll need an answer to this from Mike and/or the other TDE
> devs:
>
> If the TDE code base uses any Object Oriented type structure, you will need to
> do some learning on OO.  OO is significantly different enough from procedural
> based languages, that it is hard to write in if you only have a  procedural
> foundation.
>
> The dev’s can also give recommendations as to what editor to use to make ‘life
> easier’ in relation to writing code for TDE.  (I use Kwrite for
> everyday ‘stuff,’ but I don’t recommend it for any OO language.)

I add my 2¢: OO did not solve any of the problems it was said it would. I use "kate" or "joe" for anything that has no dedicated IDE - which is almost anything language I use but "racket". TDE uses OO (QT framework) a lot and it's been cool on a Sharp Zaurus in days long gone. Nowadays it's hard to get the boilerplate templates that tdevelop emits compiled at all from within the IDE - you're better off using a editor + konsole.

Anyway, you'd need basic knowledge on C/C++. Get a good book on C basics (e.g. Kernigham Richie 2nd Edition), the basics of C++ (don't know a good book on that, Stroustrup was a PITA), Then I'd recommend you to start somewhere about there and try the exampes: https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Category:Developers#C.2B.2B_GUI_Programming_with_Qt_3

Nik