Re: Fw: Education Direction

On Friday 30 June 2023 06:55:03 pm Mike Bird via tde-users wrote:
> On Fri June 30 2023 16:37:26 Alex Cornwell via tde-users wrote:
> > Hi, all! I love TDE and want to see it thrive for ages
> > to come. Problem is I don't know where to start online education wise. I
> > know I can use places like Linux Foundation and Udemy but what classes
> > does one take? Should I try learning C++? Learn what TQt actually is and
> > does? I just haven't a clue where to start. Thank you for any help you
> > guys can provide.
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> TDE is mostly written in C++ so you would indeed need to know C++ if you
> wished to fix bugs or add new features.
>
> But first of all do you have a good grounding in computer science?
>
> It's fairly easy to learn a new computer language but understanding the
> science behind it all is difficult without a few years of college study.

What Mike said, but...

I have 8 years college (2 CS, 4 MIS, 2 MBA) and have written code in over a
hundred different languages from the low level of assembler to the high level
of CASE tools.

You do need a good grounding in computer science (well logic really), but you
don’t have to get that from a college per se.  A decent online course in a
beginner language will give you about 70-80% of the foundation you need to
write okay code in most any language.  Writing ‘great’ code above and beyond
that is either a) mostly up to the individual’s commitment to learn and
follow the specific language’s, or organization's, coding standards or b)
being really good at picking up those standards from code you’re editing or
patching.

As to C++, which you’ll need an answer to this from Mike and/or the other TDE
devs:

If the TDE code base uses any Object Oriented type structure, you will need to
do some learning on OO.  OO is significantly different enough from procedural
based languages, that it is hard to write in if you only have a  procedural
foundation.

The dev’s can also give recommendations as to what editor to use to make ‘life
easier’ in relation to writing code for TDE.  (I use Kwrite for
everyday ‘stuff,’ but I don’t recommend it for any OO language.)

HTH,
Michael