Re: notify

Marvin Jones via tde-users wrote:

> This notify facility is something that I had _NO_ involvement with in
> getting set up.  This has got to be something native in the OS -- and
> not a TDE "thing".  Yet it's seems to be "standard" enough that TDE can
> effect the display of those new mail messages.
>
> After some long (very long) (there's that "procrastination thing")
> puzzlement on what I was seeing, I decide to inquire about it.

To understand this, you have to read about DBus notifications
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html

This is basically the successor of the dcop notify functionality.

The idea is that you let application listen to specific events on the bus
and act on them.
TDE has virtually nothing to do with them. It is actually the applications
you are using that are handling and popping up those messages.