Re: notify

>> On Wednesday 01 March 2023 04:35:11 pm Marvin Jones via tde-users wrote:
>>> The recent notify issue discussion prompts me to ask:
>>>
>>> Is there a notify HOWTO anywhere for me to learn about
>>> how to implement notify?
>>>
>>> I have a few long-running, in the background bash scripts
>>> where notify would be a nice touch to implement.

[I have a Black Belt in Procrastination, ans it's only getting worse.]

Thanks to all who replied on my query about a `notify` facility.

Actually, I have been using zenity and kdialog in my scripts to create
pop-ups for some time now.  I just did not know that was considered a
`notify`.  What I would like to explore is a "notify" feature as I
experience with chromium/chrome.  I use Groupware (in chromium) at my
ISP to monitor my imap account, before I further shunt spam aside an
download the "good stuff" to my VPS.

As email comes in, Groupware (in the browser) is able to notify, in the
lower right corner of _all_ my 6 screens, about the arrival of new mail.
[See attached image.]  After about 20 seconds they close.

This notify facility is something that I had _NO_ involvement with in
getting set up.  This has got to be something native in the OS -- and
not a TDE "thing".  Yet it's seems to be "standard" enough that TDE can
effect the display of those new mail messages.

After some long (very long) (there's that "procrastination thing")
puzzlement on what I was seeing, I decide to inquire about it.

Thanks for  the feedback.
Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones     | Marvin     | W3DHJ  | linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @         | Jonesy |  FreeBSD __