Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

On Friday 16 December 2022 04:18:23 am Slávek Banko wrote:
> Dne so 10. prosince 2022 17:39:12 Michael napsal(a):
> > Facebook,
> > YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Mastodon, et al., are just tools.
>
> So the consensus seems to be that it will be good to maintain our presence
> where it makes sense and where it looks like we have sufficient resources
> to maintain content. So for now I would move forward with an account on
> Mastodon. If you manage to get access to the account that is on Facebook,
> that will be good. We will see how it goes.

I'm not sure who 'you' is, but if someone does get access to the existing
Facebook account, or even creates a new one, do notify me.  I’ll go see if I
can dig up a way to setup auto-crossposting from Mastodon to Facebook.  Same
with any other social media the group wants to use.

> For Mastodon, I intend to create an account on floss.social, as that seems
> to be an appropriate place for our focus. So far I haven't considered
> creating our own instance of Mastodon server. If it turns out that it
> makes sense to set up our own instance, we can deal with that afterwards.

That sound like the best option.  The [little] bit I’ve read says transferring
your Mastodon ‘account?’ from one instance to another is doable, easy-ish,
and doesn’t lose any data.

Thanks Slávek for taking the time to expand TDE’s presence!

Best,
Michael