Re: Plymouth error

Thierry de Coulon wrote:

> - If I use TDM (dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity) there seem to be some
> problem at shutdown, wich leads to - sometime, not always - a failure of X
> to start at boot (I did not write down the message but it's something
> about a Plymouth failure). If I log in (cli) and then start X it works.
>
> - If I use lightdm there is no problem (except the less friendly greeter).

better check and share the relevant output from the log files (tdm.log,
Xorg.0.log)

> From all this, I have concluded that the problem is linked to the use of
> Trinity's login screen. While I can live with lightdm, does anyone
> understand what the problem with plymouth is, and/or if it's possible to
> get TDM's greeter without plymouth? I seem to remember a time where
> plymouth had to be installed only for some versions of the greeter - maybe
> I'm wrong.

actually plymouth does not have anything to do with tdm. So you can remove
plymouth without impacting tdm.

Some time ago there were issues when plymouth did not finish starting
properly and tdm (and other services) are waiting for it to finish.

Hard to say what is exactly going on in your case. I booted with plymouth
and tdm yesterday without issue.

BR