Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

On Friday 09 December 2022 07:20:50 pm Slávek Banko wrote:

Hi Slávek,

You might want to release my post on 12/09/22 09:41:34 from moderator jail,
AFAICT it never made it to the list for anyone to see.

> The opinion from Michael that we should enter "all" social networks seems
> quite unrealistic.

Yes it would be, but your summation above is incorrect, this is what I wrote.

The key word is “want” not “should.”  I also wrote:

> To me, I think we’re at the stage of asking do we have any volunteers to be
> an admin and moderators for any of the above?  My best guess is we’d need
> at least two people per platform to keep it ‘alive.’

Yes, you would have to be an ‘owner’ class member of every social media
account (e.g. to solve the Dan/Facebook issue), but only those platforms that
have volunteers would be created.  When/If platforms lose their volunteers,
then a simple “posting suspended until volunteers are again available”
message suffices to maintain its existence.

You personally would never have to post to any social media except for the one
you deem the ‘original source’ account.  (If Mastodon is it, then you’re
completely welcome to use tde-mirror-01.inet-design.com for Mastodon’s server
needs.)  All volunteers are then able to cross post content from
the ‘original source’ account to the platform they are managing.

Closing thoughts

On Friday 09 December 2022 09:41:34 am Michael wrote:
> On Thursday 08 December 2022 07:34:32 pm Slávek Banko wrote:

>> I assume that it would help to "make us visible"

> Personal opinion (e.g. no research to back it up), getting included in
> polls for, “What's your favourite desktop?” is most likely a far better use
> of the project’s time.  Example:
> https://opensource.com/article/20/5/linux-desktops

Is the goal of joining social media not to "make us visible?"  Facebook,
YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Mastodon, et al., are just tools.  No one is asking
anyone to use, or run an account on, any platform they don’t want to, so why
the {snipped to next post because quite frankly it’s off topic}

Best Regards All,
Michael