Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

Yes, sure, Twitter is bigger. But I don't like the fact that it's a
commercial project where voluntarily joined users become "goods" and
everything depends on the will of the owner. At the same time, I observe
that there is an increased interest in Mastodon at this time. And that
seems to me to be a better option to motivate people to join to Mastodon
instead of Twitter.

When I look at KDE and GNOME on Mastodon, yes, the current numbers are
noticeably lower - @kde@floss.social has 12k followers (joined Oct 07,
2022! - see https://floss.social/@kde) and @gnome@floss.social has 9.1k
followers (joined Jul 09, 2018 - see https://floss.social/@gnome). But
here's also the fact that you don't need anything special to follow posts
on Mastodon - you don't even need to create an account, because you can
follow using regular RSS - see https://floss.social/@kde.rss - that's
another thing I like. So, next to the counted followers, there may be
other users following using rss.

The opinion from Michael that we should enter "all" social networks seems
quite unrealistic. This would require a lot of effort, and I believe it
would be questionable whether it would have any real benefit. Also, I
don't agree that we should join social networks that contradict our ideas
just because those networks exist. The unmaintained "trinitydesktop"
account mentioned by Dan that someone created a long time ago on Facebook
is a prime example of the pointlessness of creating an account everywhere
just to exist on some social network.

As E. Liddell well stated, I am not motivated to join Twitter, which is
closed source, closed protocol, centralized under the control of a
corporation that needs to make money. I prefer using a decentralized open
source platform because it is in line with our thoughts. Therefore,
Mastodon seems like a good platform where there could be like-minded
people that our project could reach.

I will look forward to your other opinions.

Hi all,
I have read all replies and value them all.

A few things to consider:
1) resources required to run the channel
2) level of the people we want to target
3) what kind of exposure we want to have

IMO we should start small, predominantly with a tech channel where developers can post news about new features, bug fixes, news, ... and the target audience should be mostly people who have some tech knowledge of Linux. Hopefully this will help to keep the conversation on polite and interesting topic, avoiding the useless chit-chat and hate so often seen in lots of online posts on more famous platforms.

More exposure is good for the project, but whether there are 50 users or 1 million users, TDE will go on, as long as there are some devs working on it. More exposure may bring more devs along, that would be great. But it could also bring more "new" users who don't know anything about the history of the project and flood the ML or the channel with stuff like "move to QT6, move to plasma, Qt3 is unsafe, blah blah blah" and we will need to deal with that.

Overall Mastodon seems a good place to start from. Then we can see what to do next.
Maybe we can have an official channel on Mastodon where developers actively post and unofficial channels on other platform created and maintained by the community.

As for the Facebook page, does anyone know who owns it? Is it Tim?

Cheers
  Michele