Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

Dne pá 9. prosince 2022 03:27:08 Mike Bird napsal(a):
> On Thu December 8 2022 17:34:32 Slávek Banko wrote:
> > Does it seem like a good idea for us to have an official communication
> > channel for our project on Mastodon? What is your opinion on this?
>
> I'm on Twitter.  It's far from perfect but TTBOMK much more popular
> than Mastodon.  @kdecommunity has 114K followers on Twitter while
> @gnome has 187K.
>
> What sort of numbers do they have on Mastodon?  I'm not familiar
> enough with Mastodon to find those numbers quickly although I did
> stumble across this:
> https://social.anoxinon.de/@gnulinux/109471420784742781
>
> --Mike
>
> P.S. Any progress on the GMAIL problem?

Thanks to everyone who has already responded.

Yes, sure, Twitter is bigger. But I don't like the fact that it's a
commercial project where voluntarily joined users become "goods" and
everything depends on the will of the owner. At the same time, I observe
that there is an increased interest in Mastodon at this time. And that
seems to me to be a better option to motivate people to join to Mastodon
instead of Twitter.

When I look at KDE and GNOME on Mastodon, yes, the current numbers are
noticeably lower - @kde@floss.social has 12k followers (joined Oct 07,
2022! - see https://floss.social/@kde) and @gnome@floss.social has 9.1k
followers (joined Jul 09, 2018 - see https://floss.social/@gnome). But
here's also the fact that you don't need anything special to follow posts
on Mastodon - you don't even need to create an account, because you can
follow using regular RSS - see https://floss.social/@kde.rss - that's
another thing I like. So, next to the counted followers, there may be
other users following using rss.

The opinion from Michael that we should enter "all" social networks seems
quite unrealistic. This would require a lot of effort, and I believe it
would be questionable whether it would have any real benefit. Also, I
don't agree that we should join social networks that contradict our ideas
just because those networks exist. The unmaintained "trinitydesktop"
account mentioned by Dan that someone created a long time ago on Facebook
is a prime example of the pointlessness of creating an account everywhere
just to exist on some social network.

As E. Liddell well stated, I am not motivated to join Twitter, which is
closed source, closed protocol, centralized under the control of a
corporation that needs to make money. I prefer using a decentralized open
source platform because it is in line with our thoughts. Therefore,
Mastodon seems like a good platform where there could be like-minded
people that our project could reach.

I will look forward to your other opinions.

Cheers
--
Slávek