Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

On Thu, 8 Dec 2022 18:27:08 -0800
Mike Bird <mgb-trinity@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu December 8 2022 17:34:32 Slávek Banko wrote:
> > Does it seem like a good idea for us to have an official communication
> > channel for our project on Mastodon? What is your opinion on this?
>
> I'm on Twitter.  It's far from perfect but TTBOMK much more popular
> than Mastodon.  @kdecommunity has 114K followers on Twitter while
> @gnome has 187K.
>
> What sort of numbers do they have on Mastodon?  I'm not familiar
> enough with Mastodon to find those numbers quickly although I did
> stumble across this: https://social.anoxinon.de/@gnulinux/109471420784742781

It's functionally impossible to count the number of users on Mastodon
because there is no central control, and server operators are under no
obligation to report their user counts (although many do).  The numbers
currently being thrown around are in the 1-3 million range, but that
doesn't mean they're accurate.

One thing to keep in mind is that the users on Mastodon tend to skew
technical (or at least tech-friendly), whereas a lot of users on Twitter
et al. wouldn't know Linux, much less TDE, from a hole in the ground.
There was actually something of an exodus of technical users from
Twitter to Mastodon after the recent shakeup at the former.  So Twitter
might have more users, but Mastodon users are more likely to be
interested in TDE.

I'm cautiously in favour of an official TDE Mastodon account, if Slávek
or someone else involved in the project is willing to run it.  The worst
that can happen is that it gets no traction.  And I don't blame Slávek for
not wanting to engage with Twitter, which has problems right now that
go beyond being closed source, closed-protocol, and centralized under
control of a corporation.

The question, as posed, was not "Mastodon or Twitter?", it was
"Mastodon or status quo (nothing)?"  I think we should assume that
Twitter is off the table for the present.

E. Liddell