Re: Do we want to participate in social networks?

On Thursday 08 December 2022 07:34:32 pm Slávek Banko wrote:
> Does it seem like a good idea for us to have an official communication
> channel for our project on [social media]? What is your opinion on this?

If we want more users of TDE, then yes.

> some time ago I was thinking about whether we want to become an active
> member of social networks with our project.

If yes above, then we would want to be on all the social media platforms.
Even the ones we disagree with.  As Bill indicated, they are not mutual
exclusive.  That said, members time and ideological alignment will be the
ultimate factor in which ones we stay active on.

In general, setting up a social media account is a pita, but once a person
knows the platform, the day to day (re-)posting isn’t that time consuming.
What can be time consuming is replying to comments and answering questions.

Marketing stats are never consistently reported, as one firm will
report ‘total’ users registered and one will report unique logins per day.
That said, here’s some unverified marketing stats*:

Facebook:  2-3 billion monthly active users / 1 billion active users every day
YouTube:  1.9+ billion people use on a regular basis / 2 billion monthly users
Instagram:  1 billion users / 1 billion users every day
Twitter:  330 million active users worldwide / 4.48 billion monthly users
Pinterest:  322+ million monthly active users / 291 million active users /
450+ million monthly users
LinkedIn:  300+ million users / 310+ million monthly users
Reddit:  {didn’t dig deep enough}
Quora:  {didn’t dig deep enough}

See also at bottom, “The 23 Top Social Media Sites in the World.” **

# # #

To me, I think we’re at the stage of asking do we have any volunteers to be an
admin and moderators for any of the above?  My best guess is we’d need at
least two people per platform to keep it ‘alive.’

# # #

Associated:

Personal opinion (e.g. no research to back it up), getting included in polls
for, “What's your favourite desktop?” is most likely a far better use of the
project’s time.  Example: https://opensource.com/article/20/5/linux-desktops

Best All,
Michael

* Swiped from
https://www.lyfemarketing.com/blog/best-social-media-platforms/
https://optinmonster.com/best-social-media-platforms-for-business/
https://www.webfx.com/social-media/learn/which-social-media-platforms-are-right-for-your-business/

** From:
https://www.oberlo.com/blog/social-media-sites
“the top 23 social media sites in 2021 and ranked by the number of monthly
active users:”

    Facebook – 2.32 Billion
    YouTube – 1.9 Billion
    Whatsapp – 1.6 Billion