Re: non-starting browsers

On Friday 25 February 2022 02:07:50 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2022 11:42:40 Michael wrote:
> > > I managed to get rid of those pesky unwelcome visitors, and imagined
> > > that I was on the way to having a machine that actually does what I
> > > want.
> > >
> > > All of a sudden, most of my browsers will not launch at all.
> >
> > Add back, one at a time, those pesky visitors.
>
> I never did identify who or what they were, exactly, although E. Liddell
> seems to have tracked down one of them.
>
> > it sounded more like Gnome BS than anything TDE.
>
> Well, it is only Gnome if I missed it somehow. I try to install only TDE,
> although I do rely on the xfce desktop until I get through the base system
> installation, and move to the TDE packages.
>
> I keep xfce installed for troubleshooting, to see if I have problems there.
> I suppose I could try running those browsers in xfce to see if they'll
> start.
>
> > You are on a Debian derivative?  If so, I have no Gnome(s), so if you'll
> > post what packages you removed to get rid of the visitors, I’ll see if
> > they’re installed here.  (Which might bring it back on topic??????)
>
> I went through a reinstallation of my OS, and had already pruned everything
> that seemed to be the cause. I believe that myself and others (thanks to E.
> Liddell!) traced them back to the originating processes, as much as
> possible. In any case, top looks normal to me now; except of course that
> only 2 of my 10 or so browsers will start.
>
> > Best,
> > Michael
>
> Since I have reinstalled my OS, the only evidence is what I posted to the
> mailing list. But as I recall, most of them were python3 stuff. I basically
> pruned back everything that I was installing, trying to add one thing at a
> time to get my laptop working like my desktop used to work. But moving to a
> different machine, which is newer, which has 64-bit architecture rather
> than 32-bit like my desktop, and upgrading to Devuan Chimaera, all those
> together mean that it's not a perfectly smooth transition to the new
> machine.

Uhg!  Hmmm, try this?  It shouldn't take too long, and doesn't make any
changes to your new box.

- Download and build a MX21 Live USB.
- Boot from that.

https://mxlinux.org/download-links/

Pick the kernal that's closest to what you've got installed now.
(Run "inxi -S" to see what you've got now.)

In any event, MX21 should be the same base debian as your devuan, so you can
run top and see it it's got the same 3 unwelcome visitors.  If it does, then,
hey!, they're not unwelcome :)

Best,
Michael