Re: non-starting browsers

On Friday 25 February 2022 11:42:40 Michael wrote:

> > I managed to get rid of those pesky unwelcome visitors, and imagined that
> > I was on the way to having a machine that actually does what I want.
> >
> > All of a sudden, most of my browsers will not launch at all.
>
> Add back, one at a time, those pesky visitors.

I never did identify who or what they were, exactly, although E. Liddell seems
to have tracked down one of them.

> it sounded more like Gnome BS than anything TDE.

Well, it is only Gnome if I missed it somehow. I try to install only TDE,
although I do rely on the xfce desktop until I get through the base system
installation, and move to the TDE packages.

I keep xfce installed for troubleshooting, to see if I have problems there. I
suppose I could try running those browsers in xfce to see if they'll start.

> You are on a Debian derivative?  If so, I have no Gnome(s), so if you'll
> post what packages you removed to get rid of the visitors, I’ll see if
> they’re installed here.  (Which might bring it back on topic??????)

I went through a reinstallation of my OS, and had already pruned everything
that seemed to be the cause. I believe that myself and others (thanks to E.
Liddell!) traced them back to the originating processes, as much as possible.
In any case, top looks normal to me now; except of course that only 2 of my
10 or so browsers will start.

> Best,
> Michael

Since I have reinstalled my OS, the only evidence is what I posted to the
mailing list. But as I recall, most of them were python3 stuff. I basically
pruned back everything that I was installing, trying to add one thing at a
time to get my laptop working like my desktop used to work. But moving to a
different machine, which is newer, which has 64-bit architecture rather than
32-bit like my desktop, and upgrading to Devuan Chimaera, all those together
mean that it's not a perfectly smooth transition to the new machine.

Bill