Re: Let the war end, off vs. on topic

On Friday 25 February 2022 01:43:31 pm Borg Labs wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2022 02:33:37 pm Michael wrote:
>> if you wish to create, or reply
> > with, an “off topic” message to this list, please include, at the end of
> > the subject line the completely disambiguous filterable keyword:
> >
> > [offtopic]
>
> The simple solution to all this, other than wiping the human race off the
> Earth (we borg are for this), is to create an off topic mailing list with
> stone solid rules of respect and civility.
>
> My 2 cent opinion,
>
> Kate disappears into the mysterious mist of confusion.

Hi Kate,

That was actually the first thing I thought of before publishing
my "solution."  The reason I didn’t go with it, is:

- Divides the list in two.
- There would be so many technical posts solely on the off topic list, it’d
make the on topic list pointless.
- Because of 1&2, there would be a huge number of duplicate posts (e.g.
posting same thing to both lists).
- People adding one client filter is a huge amount of less work for Slávek and
the other list admins.
- I do think we already have a pretty good set of (unpublished) community
values handling respect and civility. [1]
- And to that end, the off topic posters (in the past) have been pretty good
about adding tags to their subject lines.

No solution is going to be perfect, what I’m forcing on the list is “just
better” (and accommodates everyone) than the one Mike keeps trying to force.
Well, that’s obviously my opinion...

If someone else can come up with something better (for everyone!, not just a
minority, or even a majority), then by all means let them speak up!

Best,
Michael

[1] I’ve never seen anyone one on the list every call somebody else a name.
Mike and I have possibly gotten close to that, but I don’t think either of us
has ever let this extremely long term disagreement influence how we respect
each other’s skills or even persons.