Re: polkitd + udisksd not starting

On Wednesday 10 November 2021 11:46:01 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 14:22:05 -0800
>
> William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If there are other solutions, I would like to hear them, because so far
> > TDE works great, except for tdenetworkmanager. It would be nice if this
> > did not depend on neworkmanager, and thus systemd. Is there any hope of a
> > non-systemd networkmanager, if wicd becomes useless?
>
> networkmanager is not, in fact, dependent on systemd as such—elogind should
> be an acceptable substitute (if it isn't, it's because of the way your
> distro has compiled it, not some innate feature of the program).
>
> dhcpcd, with wpa_supplicant for wireless support, should be an adequate
> alternative for most normal networking cases, although dhcpcd doesn't have
> a GUI (configuring it should be something you need to do only once,
> though—mostly it just needs to know what network card to bind to), and
> wpa_supplicant's GUI wasn't great as of some years ago when I last needed
> to use it.  Neither should care what init system they're running on,
> though.
>
> If you've got a desktop, you may not need any of the above—I'm not sure
> how Devuan operates, but Gentoo provides enough support for static wired
> network configurations in the netifrc base package, although you need to
> know things like the netmask and gateway address for your LAN to use it
> effectively.
>
> E. Liddell

Yes, I use a self-built Frankenstein desktop, although I am looking for a
laptop, probably a Lenovo something, which looks best for me according to
what I've been reading online.

If it comes down to no wicd, that would be fine if I can still use TDE, as I
like to stick with Trinity where I can. At least this gives me some clue
about how to make it work.

For future TDE development, it would be nice to imagine that tdenetworkmanager
will work with both systemd and init, for those who care.

Maybe Santa Claus reads this mailing list?

Bill