Re: polkitd + udisksd not starting

On Tuesday 02 November 2021 01:10:23 deloptes wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > tdenetworkmanager has not worked properly for me since, to be honest, the
> > beginning of TDE. For a while, back when I was still running
> > Debian/Devuan Jessie (I believe that's when I changed to Devuan),
> > tdenetworkmanager would work okay about every third or fourth time that I
> > reinstalled my system. Since upgrading to Devuan Beowulf, though,
> > tdenetworkmanager has *never* worked properly. I get that same error as
> > Nik reports.
>
> ahm I think because it relays on networkmanager, which relays on systemd
>
> On the notebook systemd + all the other stuff works fine.
> On the server sysvinit + all the other stuff works fine - but here no
> networkmanager or whatever is needed

Sorry to take so long in my reply. I am still in the midst of moving house.

Now that you tell me that networkmanager depends on systemd, that makes sense,
and explains why tdenetworkmanager has stopped working after about Jessie. (I
am running Devuan, by the way.)

Now the problem is, how to get a networkmanager that actually works for me
that doesn't depend on systemd. I can only assume that the people at Devuan
know about this, so maybe they will come up with a solution, or somebody will
find some workarounds.

As for me, systemd is a deal-breaker. My machine would always hang, and there
was nothing I could do but to reboot constantly. Since using Devuan and init,
no problems at all.

I note the recent discussion about wicd, and I believe that *extremist* may be
too extreme a word to describe deloptes, as I have got some good pointers in
the past. We all like what works best for us, and we tend to project our
views on others.

For anybody who is stuck between those choices, I would note that the packages
for wicd are still available (sometimes for older releases), and so far they
still work fine. I myself save my packages, so that I can install without an
internet connection.

If there are other solutions, I would like to hear them, because so far TDE
works great, except for tdenetworkmanager. It would be nice if this did not
depend on neworkmanager, and thus systemd. Is there any hope of a non-systemd
networkmanager, if wicd becomes useless?

:-\

Bill