Re: polkitd + udisksd not starting

On Wednesday 27 October 2021 23:13:29 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> One of these GNOMEs just hit me with a club again: By unknown reason
> polkitd & udisksd do not start on system startup - and I don't find the
> reason why. I have to place in my rc.local:
>
>         /usr/libexec/polkitd &
>         /usr/libexec/udisks2/udisksd &

There was some problem I had with udisks and polkitd, and I seem to recall
finding a workaround. I'm not sure it's the same problem, but if you want me
to look for my workaround, I think I still have it.

Right now I don't have that problem, so it has been a year or two since I did
any of this.

> Then at least mounting/unmounting works. NetworkManager does not work - it
> complains about insufficient permissions. Now his system was not used for ~
> 5 months and it did not show these problems prior to the update.
>
> Anybody has a clue where to start? Oh, and it's devuan chimera.
>
> Nik

tdenetworkmanager has not worked properly for me since, to be honest, the
beginning of TDE. For a while, back when I was still running Debian/Devuan
Jessie (I believe that's when I changed to Devuan), tdenetworkmanager would
work okay about every third or fourth time that I reinstalled my system.
Since upgrading to Devuan Beowulf, though, tdenetworkmanager has *never*
worked properly. I get that same error as Nik reports.

Otherwise, I just gave up and started using wicd with wicd-gtk, and it has
been dependable enough that I don't care whether this one TDE application
works or not.

Bill