Re: Appimage

On Thursday 28 October 2021 00.29:48 J Leslie Turriff wrote:

> What I don't like about these sorts of packages is that they assume that
> they will be used on a single-user machine, and if there is more than one
> user on the system the package has to be installed in each user's space;

Unless you "install" them where all can access.

> also, containing their own dependent libraries, etc., IMO they're
> bloatware.

That is only true if you also have the dependancies installed elsewhere. In
that case I agree with you. But we have talked of two cases where you are
wrong:

- running a KDE application without installing KDE
- running an application when you can't install the required dependancies

Besides, many have far more disk space than they need, so the "bloat" for a
few programs seems not so big.

> Then too, there's the security issues of having possibly
> back-level code imbedded in them.

The risk exists theoretically, but has never been proven, AFAIK.
As far as I am concerned, the benefits are worth the risks for a few apps. Of
course I'd install from repositories if I have the choice.

Thierry