Re: polkitd + udisksd not starting

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 14:22:05 -0800
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If there are other solutions, I would like to hear them, because so far TDE
> works great, except for tdenetworkmanager. It would be nice if this did not
> depend on neworkmanager, and thus systemd. Is there any hope of a non-systemd
> networkmanager, if wicd becomes useless?

networkmanager is not, in fact, dependent on systemd as such—elogind should
be an acceptable substitute (if it isn't, it's because of the way your distro has
compiled it, not some innate feature of the program).

dhcpcd, with wpa_supplicant for wireless support, should be an adequate alternative
for most normal networking cases, although dhcpcd doesn't have a GUI (configuring
it should be something you need to do only once, though—mostly it just needs to
know what network card to bind to), and wpa_supplicant's GUI wasn't great as
of some years ago when I last needed to use it.  Neither should care what init system
they're running on, though.

If you've got a desktop, you may not need any of the above—I'm not sure
how Devuan operates, but Gentoo provides enough support for static wired
network configurations in the netifrc base package, although you need to know
things like the netmask and gateway address for your LAN to use it effectively.

E. Liddell