Re: polkitd + udisksd not starting

William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> It's good to hear your opinion in some depth. I like to weigh different
> sides so that I can make choices. I am not techie enough to dig into why
> Debian or Devuan; I only know what makes sense in terms of their stated
> philosophy, and ultimately, what works best for me.
>
> I've read some of the background of the "political" mess and various
> personal scandals at Debian, and I wondered why a person's private life
> should affect their organization, or why should that have any bearing on
> whether they go with systemd or not. Maybe you know about these incidents?

No, I did not have time to learn why Debian adopted it nor I had time to
read about personal issues in Debian.
I read the arguments why systemd is needed and why it was decided to be
adopted (these are the same arguments leading to this fact), which brings
me to your next point.

> Anyway, it was for me more a problem of philosophy; that systemd tried to
> do too much, things which went against the rules laid down for Debian
> itself from the start.
At the end you would agree that systemd is not exactly trying to do too
much. It is responding to a need, which is "there is too much to do".
A dynamic computer like Desktop or Notebook needs an application such as
systemd. If systemd and its design/implementation are the best fit to this
need, I do not know.
I just can hope the people behind are mature enough to do something useful
(although some of the stories I read make me believe some of them are
lunatics)
Never mind, at the end I had same thinking as you and saw where the journey
was going.
I live and work in 2021. I work with computers and servers, I earn money
with it. It is inevitable to know systemd. The more you know it, the better
you understand it. At the end a kind of relationship develops.
My server at home with pure old init, feels like archaic today. But I have
only couple of services running there, that do not require the dynamics of
systemd

> Whether any of those other things matter is, it seems to me, pointless. My
> only real test is what works for me, and so far the new systemd Debian
> doesn't. Now, sometime in the (near?) future I plan to get into a bigger
> place to live, where I can have enough space to run several machines to do
> their various things. And then, I imagine, I will try out some other
> distros, and I'll probably give Debian a try. But since I don't have much
> space, I confine myself to a single machine, and it doesn't seem to like
> Debian.

It usually takes one USB stick with the size of a thumb nail to try Debian,
but I am not telling you what to do.

> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You are welcome