Re: polkitd + udisksd not starting

On Tuesday 09 November 2021 15:05:00 deloptes wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > As for me, systemd is a deal-breaker. My machine would always hang, and
> > there was nothing I could do but to reboot constantly. Since using Devuan
> > and init, no problems at all.
>
> just a short answer.
> Now 11/9/2021 systemd is fine to use. I also postponed adopting it for few
> years, but I setup couple of requirements and at some point of time it beat
> them. So ATM I am using it on the Desktop and Notebook. On the server and
> firewall I do not see any benefit, so I use sysvinit-core.
>
> What Devuan does is to be respected, but IMO it is waist of time. Those
> precious resources could be used to improve Debian itself.
>
> Sure there are and will be issues with systemd, but for now in Debian
> stable it is unlikely as systemd is already mature enough.
>
> I am not advocating for systemd, but after studying the backgrounds and why
> it was adopted by all major distros, it really makes sense (even on
> servers)
>
> Anyway - this is my PoV, my thoughts and my experience.

It's good to hear your opinion in some depth. I like to weigh different sides
so that I can make choices. I am not techie enough to dig into why Debian or
Devuan; I only know what makes sense in terms of their stated philosophy, and
ultimately, what works best for me.

I've read some of the background of the "political" mess and various personal
scandals at Debian, and I wondered why a person's private life should affect
their organization, or why should that have any bearing on whether they go
with systemd or not. Maybe you know about these incidents?

Anyway, it was for me more a problem of philosophy; that systemd tried to do
too much, things which went against the rules laid down for Debian itself
from the start.

Whether any of those other things matter is, it seems to me, pointless. My
only real test is what works for me, and so far the new systemd Debian
doesn't. Now, sometime in the (near?) future I plan to get into a bigger
place to live, where I can have enough space to run several machines to do
their various things. And then, I imagine, I will try out some other distros,
and I'll probably give Debian a try. But since I don't have much space, I
confine myself to a single machine, and it doesn't seem to like Debian.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Bill