Re: Logitech USB Volume Not Changing

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:22:36 +1000
"Steven D'Aprano" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 04:08:27PM -0400, E. Liddell wrote:
>
> > (My next step would be to kill PulseAudio with fire regardless of whether
> > there was a hardware problem or not, but I have no use for its extra features
> > and it's possible that you do.)
>
> It seems odd to me that your suggestion is to kill the package which
> *does* change the volume on Edward's headphones, which would leave him
> literally unable to change the volume at all. In my ignorance, that
> seems pretty counter-intuitive and unhelpful. Can you educate me please?

PulseAudio is an additional layer on top of the *actual* Linux audio
system (ALSA).  While it's no longer as buggy as it was when first
introduced, more software layers = more difficult to figure out what's
actually wrong.

It is possible that the cause of Edward's problem is Pulse grabbing
onto something that it shouldn't.  It's also possible I'm barking up the
wrong tree entirely; what I saw of Pulse in its early days makes me
inclined to distrust it, perhaps unfairly.

(And now someone else who has a Logitech headset is going to
point to the exact problem, which will have nothing to do with any
of this, and I'm going to look like an idiot.  That's okay—it won't
be the first time.)

E. Liddell