Re: Logitech USB Volume Not Changing

Anno domini 2021 Thu, 22 Jul 21:59:13 -0400
 E. Liddell scripsit:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 10:22:36 +1000
> "Steven D'Aprano" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 04:08:27PM -0400, E. Liddell wrote:
> >
> > > (My next step would be to kill PulseAudio with fire regardless of whether
> > > there was a hardware problem or not, but I have no use for its extra features
> > > and it's possible that you do.)
> >
> > It seems odd to me that your suggestion is to kill the package which
> > *does* change the volume on Edward's headphones, which would leave him
> > literally unable to change the volume at all. In my ignorance, that
> > seems pretty counter-intuitive and unhelpful. Can you educate me please?
>
> PulseAudio is an additional layer on top of the *actual* Linux audio
> system (ALSA).  While it's no longer as buggy as it was when first
> introduced, more software layers = more difficult to figure out what's
> actually wrong.
>
> It is possible that the cause of Edward's problem is Pulse grabbing
> onto something that it shouldn't.  It's also possible I'm barking up the
> wrong tree entirely; what I saw of Pulse in its early days makes me
> inclined to distrust it, perhaps unfairly.

Which happend on my devuan (and former debian) systems any time. Kmix just does not work work with pulseaudio (on my systems). What's worse: alsamixer may work or not, depending on air pressure. So my suggestion is: If kmix should change volume, remove anything pulsaudio, then reboot, doublecheck if PA is really gone. Check if the firmware for soundblaster is loaded:

# dmesg |grep firm
[    5.889395] snd_hda_intel 0000:04:00.0: firmware: direct-loading firmware ctefx-desktop.bin

.. and the try alsamixer to change volume.

> (And now someone else who has a Logitech headset is going to
> point to the exact problem, which will have nothing to do with any
> of this, and I'm going to look like an idiot.  That's okay—it won't
> be the first time.)

If the headset is battery powerd it might have auto-gain, but I have never seen that in real live (most likely 'cause I run from battery powerd audio stuff). If the headset has a mic, it might also have auto-gain which is powered by the mic ghost voltage. Anyway, you should be able to figure that out .. my bet is, there's no auto-gain but PA doing "interesting" things.

Nik