Re: Is there a quick hack for this?

said E. Liddell:

| I don't use gwenview, but have you checked for a way to create a
| toolbar button for this plugin, or bind its invocation to a keystroke?
| Seems to me that that would be easier all around.

That would be fine, but I've not found yet what the button would call,
either. There's no hotkey available for it,

| Examining the other files in the share/services directory suggests it's
| TDE's dumping ground for invocation information on plugins, embeds, and
| protocols.  Poking around inside a couple of them suggests that if any
| of these has a separate executable, the file will contain a line
| "Exec=[name]". Look in kxkb.desktop for an example.

Yes. That's why I noted that beyond a list of languages and the Metadata
Editor plugin's name, it contained only the lines I quoted.

Thinking it might be of use, I d/led the kipi-plugins-trinity package,
looking to see what it contained. This in turn led me to the (installed on
my
machine) /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kipi-plugins:kde4__kipiplugins.desktop,
which contains:

Name=KIPI Plugins
Comment=KDE Image Plugins Interface
X-DocPath=kipi-plugins/index.html
Categories=Qt;KDE;Graphics;
NoDisplay=true
Type=Application
Exec=""
Icon=kipi-logo

Clearly Gwenview, like other KDE photo applications, are kipi-aware. And in
that those applications have kipi plugins in their menus, and their menus
are varied, the way to call them has to be established -- someplace.

I was kind of hoping that someone here *knew* something about this; as much
as I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm, if someone asks what channel the
Bears-Packers game is on and the reply is "the Saints-Chargers game is on
channel 5, and you might be able to watch that," the question is not
advanced toward an answer (except through the likely elimination of one
possible channel).

As it is, I've spent more time on this than I could ever have hoped to
save. So of course tomorrow I'll go digging some more, because it is
surely documented somewhere. There has to be at minimum a script that can
be written to call the thing, in that it is called in a menu in the same
frigging program.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album