Re: Is there a quick hack for this?

On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 01:48:17 +0000
dep via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> said E. Liddell:
>
> | If it's a true plugin, it probably doesn't *have* a separate executable.
> |  Plugins are sort of like the inverse of libraries:  they implement some
> | sort of interface or contract provided by the host program.  The kipi
> | plugins appear to implement a common interface used by multiple TDE
> | graphics programs.
>
> I considered that possibility, but there has to be some way to invoke it.

Through whatever interface is in the program, usually.

> | Unless you can figure out how to use DCOP to send a message to gwenview
> | that will force-invoke the plugin, or you're willing to write some kind
> | of kipi stub-invoker, I suspect you're out of luck here.
>
> Do you think that the code in the actual menu entry contains all that code?
> Because all I hope to do it copy it from one menu on Gwenview to another
> menu in Gwenview, the latter being a freely editable one. It's not as if I
> want it to run free-standing, or to open it in a different program. Juast
> literally move it from one menu to another.

I expect the menu code calls a function somewhere.  If you're willing to
muck around with the gwenview source, it should theoretically be
possible to replicate the original menu item (unless TDE did something
really weird here).

I don't use gwenview, but have you checked for a way to create a
toolbar button for this plugin, or bind its invocation to a keystroke?
Seems to me that that would be easier all around.

> Something that also puzzled me a little is that there is a
> kipiplugin.metadataedit.desktop file (in /opt/trinity/share/services).
> Beyond listing every language spoken in the solar system and nearby parts
> of the galaxy, it has this:
>
> X-TDE-ServiceTypes=KIPI/Plugin
> Type=Service
> X-TDE-Library=kipiplugin_metadataedit
>
> Which I'm sure means something, though I know not what, beyond the
> extremely obvious.

Examining the other files in the share/services directory suggests it's TDE's
dumping ground for invocation information on plugins, embeds, and
protocols.  Poking around inside a couple of them suggests that if any of
these has a separate executable, the file will contain a line "Exec=[name]".
Look in kxkb.desktop for an example.

E. Liddell