Re: [users] r14-xdg-update?

said Michael via tde-users:

| S'Okay, probably the easiest method is to place /home on a separate
| partition and then do a 'clean' install while preserving /home.  Here’s
| some (crappy) docs I did on the process.
|
| https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=59308&p=587358#p588697

thanks. what i ended up doing (in the first hour) was use gparted on the
new drive to make the dinky efi system partition in fat32, my ext4 linux
boot partition,  and my enormous /home partition, also ext4. then i dd'ed
the stuff over from the old partitions to the new. the issue was
installing grub2 on the new drive. after going back and forth between usb
live image boots and hard drive boot failures -- my mood was so bad that
the neighbor's cat decided to stay away -- i told gparted to mark the
linux ext4 boot partition as efi system, pointed the bios to it, and
rebooted, after which a kubuntu logo came up, it chugged along for awhile,
and in due course i was at the tde login. after which i got the familiar
xdg errors and my nice happy tde desktop. and then i was able to open a
terminal and install and update grub.

what i'd learned is that chroot is a kind of cigar.

next morning i awakened to a non-running computer and thought something in
my install had gone terribly wrong. but got closer and was treated to the
unmistakable aroma of fried electronics. fortunately, my cyberpower
(mentioned by name in case you don't want to get one) UPS had journeyed to
its eternal reward, and more fortunately i had a spare, an old APC whose
battery i had not long ago replaced. all uptime since then!
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/columns/the_view_from_mudsock_heights/