Re: [users] [users] r14-xdg-update? [OT]

On 2021-05-21 14:57:17 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> On Friday 21 May 2021 02:41:32 pm dep via tde-users wrote:
> > said J Leslie Turriff:
> > I DO
> >
> > | understand that the team is small and the tasks large, but having the
> > | same problem pop up after each upgrade, with the same group of
> > | incoherent 'just do this and all will be well (until next time)' is
> > | extremely frustrating.
> >
> > <slight rant> when i was doing the previously mentioned swap from a
> > failing MBR drive to a larger GPT drive, i thought there would be
> > documentation -- instructions -- as to how it can be done. searched and
> > searched. found people crowing how they had done it with dual boot, or
> > with an lvm setup, all mine's-bigger-than-yours stuff, but no simple
> > instructions on how to make the swap without losing data. as a result,
> > what should have taken half a day took almost three. annoying as all get
> > out. then again, the reason i didn't want to do a new install was all the
> > tweaks and fiddling i'd done over the years without bothering to document
> > any of it, so . . . </slight rant>
>
> Hi dep,
>
> S'Okay, probably the easiest method is to place /home on a separate
> partition and then do a 'clean' install while preserving /home.  Here’s
> some (crappy) docs I did on the process.
>
> https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=59308&p=587358#p588697
>
> Best,
> Michael

	As an IBM mainframer, brought up to always isolate application from system components, I
always did this as a matter of course.  Before the advent of RAID and terabyte storage
volumes, the other reason for doing this was to prevent disk-head thrashing (still
pertinent for those of us still using rotating storage).  (Ideally, I should have a
separate volume for swap, but in that respect I'm cheating by using a partition on my
system volume.)

Leslie
--
openSUSE    Leap 15.2 x86_64