Re: [users] [users] r14-xdg-update?

On 2021-05-21 14:41:32 dep via tde-users wrote:
> said J Leslie Turriff:
> | 	In my years as a mainframe programmer and later administrator, I did
> | indeed encounter quite a number of Real Men who complained that IBM
> | provides "too much documentation". That didn't keep them from coming
> | around periodically to pick my brain. :-) Sadly, I now often find myself
> | complaining of the lack of documentation in the Unix world.  I DO
> | understand that the team is small and the tasks large, but having the
> | same problem pop up after each upgrade, with the same group of
> | incoherent 'just do this and all will be well (until next time)' is
> | extremely frustrating.
>
> <slight rant> when i was doing the previously mentioned swap from a failing
> MBR drive to a larger GPT drive, i thought there would be documentation --
> instructions -- as to how it can be done. searched and searched. found
> people crowing how they had done it with dual boot, or with an lvm setup,
> all mine's-bigger-than-yours stuff, but no simple instructions on how to
> make the swap without losing data. as a result, what should have taken
> half a day took almost three. annoying as all get out. then again, the
> reason i didn't want to do a new install was all the tweaks and fiddling
> i'd done over the years without bothering to document any of it, so . . .
> </slight rant>
> --
> dep

	<g> In my 30 years in there was only one site that I worked at who did more than pay
lip-service to application documentation, and that was only because the project was a
total replacement and all of the documentation was done before the code was written.
	The last one I worked at was the worst; the company recruited their application
programmers from their application user pool, giving them only minimal OTJ 'training'.
All of the programmers who had originally developed the system had retired, and there was
no real documentation at all.  I worked at sites that ran the gamut from one to the
other.
	I must point out that in contrast to documentation (or lack thereof) of in-house written
applications, there was enough documentation of system-level (OS and utilities) software
to make some programmers complain that they couldn't find what they needed to look up
because there were Too Many manuals. :-)

Leslie
--
openSUSE    Leap 15.2 x86_64
Qt:         3.5.0