Re: Still having issues with Firefox and Thunderbird on TDE

On 3/13/21 5:21 PM, Marvin Jones via tde-users wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021, Edward wrote:
On 3/13/21 4:08 PM, Edward wrote:
Firefox keeps switching between being the default browser, to not
being the default browser, sometimes during the same session. I don't
know what's causing this, except that I have seen this behavior if I
launch Konqueror or PCManFM-Qt as a file manager.

I also have Vivaldi installed, both Stable and Snapshot, but I'm
wondering if the system is treating Konqueror as a web browser, not a
file manager... I could always try uninstalling Konqueror, but I don't
know if that would cause other issues with TDE.
xdg-settings indicates Firefox *is* the default browser, but Firefox
says it *isn't*.

There is a problem, somewhere...
FWIW I see the same "update-alternatives --config x-www-browser" and
"xdg-settings get default-web-browser" mis-matches.

jonesy@nix5:~$ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
There are 7 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing
/usr/bin/x-www-browser).

   Selection    Path                           Priority   Status
* 0            /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable   201       auto mode
   1            /opt/trinity/bin/konqueror      100       manual mode
   2            /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable   201       manual mode
   3            /usr/bin/chromium-browser       40        manual mode
   4            /usr/bin/firefox                40        manual mode
   5            /usr/bin/opera                  120       manual mode
   6            /usr/bin/palemoon               40        manual mode
   7            /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable         200       manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

jonesy@nix5:~$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
firefox.desktop
jonesy@nix5:~$

All-in-all I don't really care which browser is my "default" browser.... :-)

Jonesy

The problem is that this scenario is also causing issues with
Thunderbird. If I open an e-mail and click a link, instead of the link
opening in Firefox, Thunderbird creates a new account titled 'Blogs &
News Feeds' automatically and doesn't pass the link to Firefox.
Thunderbird continues to do this until Firefox mysteriously becomes the
legitimate default browser again. Then if it does not become the default
browser (which appears to be the case per my screenshots), this process
will repeat itself all over again.

--
Linux. A Continual Learning Experience.