Re: Still having issues with Firefox and Thunderbird on TDE

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021, Edward wrote:
> On 3/13/21 4:08 PM, Edward wrote:
>>
>> Firefox keeps switching between being the default browser, to not
>> being the default browser, sometimes during the same session. I don't
>> know what's causing this, except that I have seen this behavior if I
>> launch Konqueror or PCManFM-Qt as a file manager.
>>
>> I also have Vivaldi installed, both Stable and Snapshot, but I'm
>> wondering if the system is treating Konqueror as a web browser, not a
>> file manager... I could always try uninstalling Konqueror, but I don't
>> know if that would cause other issues with TDE.
>
> xdg-settings indicates Firefox *is* the default browser, but Firefox
> says it *isn't*.
>
> There is a problem, somewhere...

FWIW I see the same "update-alternatives --config x-www-browser" and
"xdg-settings get default-web-browser" mis-matches.

jonesy@nix5:~$ update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
There are 7 choices for the alternative x-www-browser (providing
/usr/bin/x-www-browser).

  Selection    Path                           Priority   Status
* 0            /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable   201       auto mode
  1            /opt/trinity/bin/konqueror      100       manual mode
  2            /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable   201       manual mode
  3            /usr/bin/chromium-browser       40        manual mode
  4            /usr/bin/firefox                40        manual mode
  5            /usr/bin/opera                  120       manual mode
  6            /usr/bin/palemoon               40        manual mode
  7            /usr/bin/vivaldi-stable         200       manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

jonesy@nix5:~$ xdg-settings get default-web-browser
firefox.desktop
jonesy@nix5:~$

All-in-all I don't really care which browser is my "default" browser.... :-)

Jonesy
--
  Marvin L Jones     | Marvin     | W3DHJ  | linux
   Pueblo, Colorado  |  @         | Jonesy |  FreeBSD __