Re: kweather does not update weather data [SOLVED]

E. Liddell wrote:

> What can I say?  Canada is the second-largest country in the world.  We
> have vast tracts of thinly populated land (and vast tracts of largely
> unpopulated land too), and weather stations are sprinkled all across that.
>
> In a lot of cases, though, a breakdown by country is going to be
> sufficient.  A small African nation might have 20 stations or so, which
> isn't too much for one list.

Yeah it looks like we need a TDE KWeather committee to rule out the division
of the world :D

>> There are 6702 in the file from which 2590 are already done because they
>> are are in the US.
>> A big portion of the rest is just countries (like Europe etc)
>> Africa, Russia, Mexico are good candidates.
>>
>> I could easily map everything from Canada to one country Canada, but it
>> will be difficult to find the right station. What do you think
>
> For the Canadian stations specifically, it should be possible to allocate
> a lot of them to provinces based on the annotations at the end of the
> "city" field, which are mostly the old conventional provincial
> abbreviations that everyone except the post office actually uses:
>
> N. S. = Nova Scotia
> N. B. = New Brunswick
> PEI = Prince Edward Island
> Nfld = Newfoundland
> Que. = Quebec
> Ont. = Ontario
> Man. = Manitoba
> Sask. = Saskatchewan
> Alta. = Alberta
> B. C. = British Columbia
> N. W. T. = North-West Territories
> Y. T. = Yukon Territory
>
> There's some variation in capitalization and punctuation, and locations in
> Nunavut are likely to marked as being in the NWT for historical reasons,
> but it's a start and should be able to assign most stations in the more
> populated areas to a province using a few regular expressions for
> matching.
>
> Some of them can also be assigned automatically based on
> latitude/longitude ranges (north of a certain latitude mostly places
> things in the Territories, south of it in the provinces, and Québec and
> provinces westward *almost* adhere to specific longitudes, although there
> are some ambiguous zones—I'll see if I can get some numbers tonight).

we are not writing a PhD here - we want v1.0 v2.0 etc. so lets start simple.
I just don't feel like doing this myself.
If you know where the name belongs to it would be much easier - to me the
names do not say anything (not Canadian)

> The rest of them can be dropped in a bin labelled "Canada - Unknown" or
> the like and assigned whenever someone figures out where they are.  (If we
> can find a way of making these assignments easy for a non-technical person
> to do, it might be helpful.)
>
> This is mainly a concern for really large countries (Canada, U.S.,
> Russia), where if you pick the wrong weather station by mistake, you could
> be getting forecasts for the other side of the continent.

Yes, I was going to suggest for version 1 to map the stations to something
like unknown. For example Mexico is done like this Mexico -> Mexico. This
will become Mexico -> Unknown

I could of course preserve the already used associations.

thank you and regards