Re: Konquerorsu fails to show directory view TDE R14.0.9

On Saturday 20 March 2021 06:00, Michele Calgaro via tde-devels wrote:
> > Hi Michele
> > Ok, I'll go for it. I've built quite a lot of stuff. I suppose it's
> > better if I build it on the same machine as the one with the buggy
> > konqueror. Now to find some drive space.
> >
> > Which modules do I need to get a basic install, enough to try and debug
> > konquerorsu?
> >
> > Where do I find the build instructions?
>
> Hi Nigel,
> building scripts available here:
> https://mirror.git.trinitydesktop.org/gitea/TDE/tde-packaging/src/branch/ma
>ster/debian/_buildscripts/local Make sure to read the README.txt file, it
> explains the process in detail. The scripts are part of the master branch,
> not R14.0.x. So make sure to copy the folder before you switch to R14.0.x.
> If you have any issues with the scripts, let me know.
> To build tdelibs and tdebase with debug, you can edit the file
> 01_base_01.sh and add "-d" to the call to build_module, like this:
> build_module -d "core/tdelibs"
> build_module -d "core/tdebase"
>
> Having said all the above, the problem may not be related to konqueror per
> se but instead of how it is called through sudo. Before you start
> rebuilding all on your own, it may be worth to understand better where the
> problem is.

Hi Michele,
Sorry for slow reply.

> 1) Can you explain how you put konquerorsu on desktop? which file did you
> copy and edit? I refer to your first email where you mentioned you changed
> "NoDisplay" but I don't see that in konquerorsu.desktop.

This appears to be how the konquerorsu.desktop file is set up on ubuntu
installs.
I first posted this problem to the users list and Thierry de Coulon who is
using debian and R14.0.10 (development) cannot find that line in his
konquerorsu.desktop file. It appears that debian and fedora (at least my old
fedora core 3 that I'm mailing from) do not need that line in the desktop
file as the super user file manager is put on the desktop menu as default.
Anyway I've attached my desktop file and you can see for yourself.
At the bottom of the file you will see the line in question which I changed
from true to false which is how it shows now. Having done that I log out and
back in and a new entry "Superuser" which extends to "File Manager - Super
User Mode" is added to the "System" part of the menu.
See attachment

> 2) does konqueror (without su) works fine?

Yes konqueror, both as a file manger and for webbrowsing works without anyu
problems whatsoever.

> 3) it would be useful if you setup your root account and try running
> konqueror from a root session for comparison.

Ok. I've got a problem here. I created a  root password then unlocked the
password file (which removed the lock (lower case L) but cannot find out how
to add a root login user to the login menu. So at the moment I'm a bit stuck
on being able to login as root.

> 4) anything strange in .xsession-errors?

Nothing more that the same output that Konsole kicks out when trying to open
konquerorsu with "sudo konqueror --profile filemanagement" which you have
already seen.

> Cheers
>   Michele

Now a question.
Is there a way to install an earlier TDE release (R14.0.6) for example on
xubuntu 16.04? I thought that I might be able to work my way up through the
releases until this konquerorsu problem occured on one of them.
My xubuntu 14.04 trusty has R14.0.4 and that has no problems with konquerorsu
opening as it should.
At least we would the know if this problem is specific to R14.0.9 or is
present on some earlier releases as well.

All the best,
Nigel.