x forwarding over SSH

Hi,

I am using SSH to do X forwarding and saw an interesting problem:  for
some applications, even when I closed the application itself, the SSH
session is still not closed.  For other applications, SSH sessions
closed whenever I closed the application.

For example, if I do:

ssh -X <host> xclock

then I close the xclock app, the ssh session exits.

but if I do:

ssh -X <host> firefox

then I close the firefox app,  the ssh session does not exit.

In the latter case, I can see the corresponding sshd process is still
running at <host>.  Is such behavior caused by the application?  any
insights are appreciated.

my SSH version is:
OpenSSH_5.1p1 Debian-6ubuntu2, OpenSSL 0.9.8g

thanks
Han