Re: x forwarding over SSH

On 09/23/2010 11:26 PM, Han wrote:
> I am using SSH to do X forwarding and saw an interesting problem:  for
> some applications, even when I closed the application itself, the SSH
> session is still not closed.  For other applications, SSH sessions
> closed whenever I closed the application.
<snip>
> In the latter case, I can see the corresponding sshd process is still
> running at <host>.  Is such behavior caused by the application?  any
> insights are appreciated.

Yes, actually, this is Firefox.  When you run "firefox", you're actually running
a wrapper script that does several things before launching the actual
firefox-bin binary.  I've seen quite frequently that Firefox doesn't truly "die"
when you close it (Thunderbird, Icedove, and Iceweasel all exhibit this
behavior).  You likely still have processes running that are holding your ssh
session(s) open.

John