Re: Question about folder tree view

On Thu, 22 May 2014, Bryan wrote:
> Reply bottom-posted.
>
> On 5/22/2014 12:56 PM, Craig Arno wrote:
>> Hi Bryan,
>>
>>  > /I'm puzzled that you said you have this "missing folder" issue with
>> Thunderbird as well though. All of our Thunderbird clients render all of
>> the folder names correctly here./
>>
>> I'm puzzled to know how you can't see this issue with Squirrelmail
>> 1.4.22 / Thunderbird 24.5.0 (Linux & Windows) unless you haven't tried
>> it, or we're discussing two different issues.  If you haven't tried it,
>> then you're wasting everyone's time (including mine) by posting to this
>> list.
>>
>> The issue I describe is neither SquirrelMail, nor Thunderbird will allow
>> me to *CREATE* "JunkSubFolder" (as is done manually in the next
>> paragraph). *-Try this-,* and then tell me how this isn't an issue with
>> your setup, or that this isn't the issue you describe.
>>
>> In the Command Shell, go to ~/mail and execute "mkdir JunkSubFolder".
>> (This step can -not- be performed through current versions of
>> SquirrelMail or Thunderbird {Windows or Linux} through Dovecot)
>>
>> Now, in SquirrelMail go to "Folders".  Subscribe to "JunkSubFolder".
>> Perform a "refresh folder list".  Notice how in SquirrelMail this new
>> subfolder now displays in SquirrelMail *and can be used**in
>> SquirrelMail*.  If all of your issue is about is "rendering" or
>> "displaying", this demonstrates rendering or displaying are not issues
>> in SquirrelMail.
>>
>> In Thunderbird try to Subscribe to "JunkSubFolder". *You can't*.  It's
>> displayed, but you can't use it.  With no ability to Subscribe, this
>> also means Thunderbird can't use this new subfolder. *You can use this
>> subfolder in SquirrelMail as I'll now prove*.
>>
>> In SquirrelMail "Folders", in the "Create Folder" area, set "as a
>> subfolder of" to "JunkSubFolder".  Now fill in the dialog box with a
>> mailfolder name like "myStuff".  Press the Create button. Perform a
>> "refresh folder list".  Notice how "myStuff" now appears under
>> JunkSubFolder.
>>
>> In Thunderbird you can -now- subscribe to the existing
>> JunkSubFolder/myStuff (thanks to SquirrelMail creating
>> JunkSubFolder/myStuff).  To display JunkSubFolder/myStuff in
>> Thunderbird, you must shutdown Thunderbird, all the way, no open
>> windows, restart Thunderbird, then JunkSubFolder/myStuff will display
>> and will already for use through Dovecot because the last actions with
>> SquirrelMail already subscribed you to JunkSubFolder/myStuff.
>> Thunderbird doesn't support a "refresh folder list" function, like
>> SquirrelMail does, so complete shutdown and restart is the only way to
>> "refresh".
>>
>>   From this point forward both SquirrelMail and Thunderbird can create
>> and use "myStuff2", and "myStuff3" -in- the new JunkSubFolder from
>> either application UI.
>>
>> Since neither program can CREATE JunkSubFolder, I believe what you are
> [...]
Bryan,

Dovecot uses the Maildir++ format by default for organizing mailbox
directories.  You can see the information here.

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir

Under the "Directory Structure" Heading it talks about the issue you are
seeing.

When subfolders are created it can do so in two different ways.

1:  ~/Maildir/.folder.subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder (ie.
"folder/subfolder")

or

2: ~/Maildir/folder/subfolder/ is a subfolder of a folder

You can specify the latter by appending :LAYOUT=fs to mail_location in the
dovecot.conf file.

This won't help you with changing your existing Maildir subfolder layouts
but I would assume it will change the format for any future mailbox
changes.

I hope this helps.

Ted Hatfield