Question about folder tree view

Hi,

I can provide versions, but this is something that I've always just
ignored as an annoyance, now one of my users is asking me to fix it. I
have spent hours on this and I either lack the proper words to describe
this, or the search is so cluttered with "." and INBOX configuration
concerns that I can't pick the solution out of the soup, nor can I even
find someone posting a question like this.

Here's the story and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dovecot/IMAP system usage is configured for folders can only
contain sub-folders or e-mail. Not both.

On the server and the users' mail folder looks like such (not a complete
list just for illustration):

~/mail/.Sent
~/mail/.folder1.folderA
~/mail/.folder1.folderB
~/mail/.folder2
------------------------
In Thunderbird I see:

Sent
Folder1 (folder contains folder, shown in nav only)
     FolderA (folder contains e-mails)
     FolderB (folder contains e-mails)
Folder2 (folder contains e-mails)
------------------------
In Squirrelmail I see:

Sent
     FolderA
     FolderB
Folder2

With all that data, my question is, how do I get Squirrelmail to show
"Folder1" in the navigation tree, when no such folder exists on the file
system.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bryan