Re: Question about folder tree view

I'm running Squirrelmail 1.4.22 using Dovecot and had to do a little
manual intervention to make Folders display this way:

- People
     Mike
     Donna
     Xavier

or collapsed:

+ People

The manual intervention involved going to my physical ~/mail folder area
using the unix command shell. (or wherever Dovecot stores your saved
personal folders in your system, in mine it's configured to be ~/mail)

Once there, "mkdir People"

Now back in Squirrelmail go to the "Folders" Unsubscribe/Subscribe
area.  Locate "People" (I found mine all the way at the bottom of the
list, not in the order I was expecting, so you may have to look
carefully at your list) and -Subscribe- to this empty Folder. Refresh
your browser window and this new folder will show up in Blue in between
all the Black "Mail Folders".  From there you can use SquirrelMail to
add regular MailFolders to this new "Collection" subdirectory, and as
you subscribe to each, they will be displayed under the collapsible list
(after a "Folder Refresh").  Remember, you -must- subscribe to the top
level "Collection" name you created using "mkdir", or it won't show.

I don't see or know of any ability to do this in SquirrelMail, so it has
to be done manually.  I don't know if the ability to do this is missing
because Dovecot doesn't support this, or it's some sort of oversight, or
just my own lack of not knowing how. It doesn't matter, here is a manual
workaround to achieve what you requested, and once done, SquirrelMail
does support this "Collection" structure correctly, and quite nicely.

What is a little confusing is "Folders", where it says "Create Folder"
is talking about making a "Mail Folder", a "file" in the unix file
system for saving email messages.  Not a directory (Folder) in the file
system to create a *Collection* of Mail Folders.

With a small amount of command line work you can get your Collections of
Mail Folders organized the way you want.  You will of course have to
Subscribe/Unsubscribe all the changes you made at the file system level
so they are reflected properly in SquirrelMail/Dovecot.  Once done, you
can use this structure as you'd expect.

This is not just a SquirrelMail issue, I have the same issue in
Thunderbird through the Dovecot IMAP server.  So I'm not sure where the
issue lies which prevents this being done through our Mailtools.

Hope this helps you get to where you want to go.

Craig