Re: Blank Screen after login

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Dan Mahoney <danm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Answers inline.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

>>> Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
>>> conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
>>> However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
>>> the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
>>> delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
>>> to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
>>> filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
>>> unread mail.
>>
>> I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.  Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and getting a new login prompt, that still feels broken.
>>
>> I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it shouldn't ship with base.
>
> The Filters plugin doesn't have issues just hanging without
> explanation.  That's going to be something in your system that's Bad
> News.

You may be right, but as I couldn't get the debug plugin to work
correctly, I can't tell where it is.  As stated, conversations between the
imapd and php just stopped.  I'm happy to let correlation imply causation
and say "I had a big problem, it stopped when I turned this off".  Given,
this may be like saying "I only hear my brakes squeal when I turn off the
radio", but in this case, the squeaky thing is the users, and they're no
longer complaining.

>> People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available
>> to them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to
>> want to hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to
>> usermin's procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that
>> actually handles your procmail rules for you working.
>
> Did you even read the link I pointed you to?

Yes, and it was what caused me to try turning off filters to try and
alleviate this.  My main reason for posting was to get the symptoms
documented in case anyone else hits a similar problem.

-Dan