Re: Blank Screen after login

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
<danm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey there all.
>
> I'm running Squirrelmail 1.4.22 under php5.3 under freeBSD.
>
> After I log in, some of my users are getting blank pages.  I don't believe
> it's a PHP error -- everything is configured fine and works for most
> users.  All squirrelmail configtests seem to indicate everything's hunky
> dory.
>
> While I think I've solved my problem at the moment, I wanted to document
> it here.
>
> The behavior is thus:
>
> Apache/2.2.22 (FreeBSD) PHP/5.3.13 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.22
> OpenSSL/0.9.8q
>
> IMAP is uw, uw-imapproxxy,
> and dovecot.
>
> 1) User is able to log in, ie they get a login form and are able to
> submit it.  Someone tailing the mail server logs will see an imap login.
>
> 2) Dovecot loads a folder, and ostensibly sends it along to squirrelmail.
> TCPdump confirms this.
>
> 3) Squirrelmail never displays it -- and in fact never even closes the
> connection to the imap server.  Browser continues to spin.
>
> 4) Any future access attempt seems to pick up the same session and hangs
> in a similar manner.  You can't even bring up the login page again from
> that browser, unless you restart apache.
>
> So, here's what I discovered/tried in trying to solve this problem:
>
> * The problem went away for *some* users once I raised the memory limit,
> but the user I'm working with now about 300M in size.  I've set php's
> memory limit WAY higher than that as a debug, but with no luck.
>
> * The debug plugin is not helpful -- it conflicted with multilogin.  This
> is perhaps a bug.
>
> * I've tried moving user homedirs to different partitions (they're on NFS
> at the moment, just to rule out NFS overhead (although all other imap
> worked -- all other imaps)).
>
> * I've tried turning off the suhosin patch by setting suhosin.simulation =
> On in my php.ini, no help.
>
> * once apache was in this "stuck" state, I couldn't even load the
> squirrelmail config-test.  (I could load a plain vanilla php phpinfo()
> page)
>
> * Finally, on a hunch, I disabled the "filters" plugin.  Access came back
> to normal.  I'm still not sure that this "solved the problem" but my user
> is happy, so I'm sticking with it.

Have you tried sniffing the IMAP port?  You could watch the full IMAP
conversation and perhaps get a better idea of where things break down.
 However, it's quite well documented on the lists and our website that
the filters plugin is bad news.  If you're not doing server side,
delivery time filtering, you're asking for problems.  The other thing
to check is how much incoming mail such users have and how many
filters they have and whether or not they have chosen to filter only
unread mail.

http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html#ss6.5

Once you confirm that this really is your problem, it would be well
worth your while to implement a real filtering system.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team