Re: Blank Screen after login

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Dan Mahoney, System Admin
<danm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM, Dan Mahoney <danm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Answers inline.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> I did, both by putting imapd in most-debug mode, as well as with TCPdump.
>>> Per my original post, the conversation actually stops between PHP and imap
>>> while things spin -- forever, even on a new TCP connection.  I still don't
>>> understand why that would block me from hitting login.php again, and getting
>>> a new login prompt, that still feels broken.
>>>
>>> I also would say that if this plugin is such Bad News, then perhaps it
>>> shouldn't ship with base.
>>

>> The Filters plugin doesn't have issues just hanging without
>> explanation.  That's going to be something in your system that's Bad
>> News.
>

> You may be right, but as I couldn't get the debug plugin to work correctly,

The Debug plugin won't help because your web server is hanging.

> I can't tell where it is.  As stated, conversations between the imapd and
> php just stopped.  I'm happy to let correlation imply causation and say "I
> had a big problem, it stopped when I turned this off".  Given, this may be
> like saying "I only hear my brakes squeal when I turn off the radio", but in
> this case, the squeaky thing is the users, and they're no longer
> complaining.

The Filters plugin is used widely and you are the first person I've
ever heard having this type of problem with it.  As far as I can tell,
you have configuration defaults or mail volumes that are making the
IMAP or web server choke (I already gave you suggestions re: these
things) in a way that is particular to your system only.

>>> People use the SM filters because it's the interface that's available to
>>> them -- I also have usermin on this system, and suspect I'm going to want to
>>> hack up the "filters" plugin to basically add a pointer to usermin's
>>> procmail module, or see if I can get one of the ones that actually handles
>>> your procmail rules for you working.
>>
>> Did you even read the link I pointed you to?
>
> Yes, and it was what caused me to try turning off filters to try and
> alleviate this.  My main reason for posting was to get the symptoms
> documented in case anyone else hits a similar problem.

You missed the part that explains what the alternatives are.  You
don't need to hack usermin into SquirrelMail.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team