After changing user password Squirrelmail is inoperative

Hi:

We had to change the password on our Linux server due to a security issue, and now our Squirrelmail program cannot be accessed. Before we made this change our Squirrelmail was working fine and could be accessed from our web interface at mail.ourwebsite.com.  But now it won't even connect to the site, and an error page is generated stating that a connection to the server cannot be made.  We also re-booted our Linux server after making the change to the user password, then re-logged in to the command line on the server for a final verification of our new password - there is only one user account on the Linux server.  What went wrong? Do we need to change the password in our MySQL authentication? How do we do that?  Did re-booting the server cause the Linux mail service to stop running?  How do we re-start the service?  Please help...we need to get this back up and running today asap - on Tuesday at the latest because this is affecting our product sales
 platform.

Mark
itprof_ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx